You may upload a text transcript of your video and Kartra will display the closed captions as the video plays along. This will help users with hearing impediments to read through your video content, by simply activating the Closed Caption icon in the video player.
The crucial point in this process is to create a file containing the text transcript correctly. Read this fantastic article to learn the full technical walk-through, but here below you will find a quick summary.
Writing the video transcript
Firstly, open a standard .txt file with the NotePad (Windows) or TextEdit (Mac) application. Here’s a sample of how to format the contents inside that text file:
This quick file will overlay on the video the following lines:
- “Hello world first!” from second 1 to second 3 of the video
- “Hello world second!” from second 5 to second 10 of the video.
Important things to keep in mind:
- Please leave the align:center line:90% size:80% part as it is, because that defines the location of the text within the video player.
- The time format parameters (hours : minutes : seconds) must always be represented as a 2-digit parameter. For example: 00:00:010.000 will NOT be read as 10 seconds. The proper format for 10 seconds should be 00:00:10.000. If you want to represent 5 seconds, the correct format would be 00:00:05.000, NOT 00:00:5.000 .
- The “arrow symbol” (example: 00:00:01.000 –> 00:00:03.000) is constructed by two standard dashes (– –), not one long dash (—).
From there on, you would add more and more lines into the file, at the corresponding time interval, until you cover the entire video transcript
Converting the file into the right format
This type of video transcript must be saved in .vtt filename extension:. Creating a .vtt file is actually very easy:
- Once you have completed the text file on NotePad or TextEdit and you save it in .txt extension, you would simply need to rename the file changing the .txt extension into .vtt . For example, renaming MyVideoTranscript.txt into MyVideoTranscript.vtt .
- Upload the .vtt file through the Kartra Video interface. See screenshot below.
Finally, you may download this sample .vtt file to have an idea of what they look like. Feel free to edit it at will!